[GNC] Scheduled Transaction Mystery?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 20:39:31 EST 2021

First I agree that there is some mysterious behavior with scheduled
transactions but it is very hard to pin down the problem.  I suspect that
only a step by step detailed log of what the GnuCash Since Last Run wizard
is doing would actually  tell us what is wrong, but detailed descriptions
may help.  If scheduled transactions had some identifier shorter than a
UUID or title so we could see which one was being processed when the
problem appeared, that too would help.

I want to start with "... will tell me on start up
that it has created x number of scheduled txns. I can see the change in
value in the register but not the actual txn."

Where does GnuCash display that number?  I have never seen such a summary
transaction count or noticed an updated running total for any account in
any of the places that I might think to look for these changes.
Admittedly, I am currently still using release 3.8 in Ubuntu 20.04  Do I
simply not know where to look?

The main thing that I do see consistently is the appearance of the asterisk
in front of the filename in the top banner which is supposed to mean that
GnuCash has done something that can be 'Saved".  When that asterisk appears
after opening a file but before I have manually made any entries I assume
that the Since Last Run wizard did something.  I have never intentionally
configured any scheduled transaction to be created without a notification,
but now and then the asterisk will appear without any Since Last Run dialog
window appearing or any created transaction appearing in a results window.
I believe that in trying to track that down I have even tried closing the
program without saving and seeing the warning that some change will be
lost, and if I proceed, the next time I start the program, the asterisk
will again spontaneously appear without any of the other artifacts.

According to the release notes, Release 4.0 happened last June, which is
only 8 months ago, so Christina probably saw her problem in release
3.something.

That is all that I can contribute right now.

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 5:14 PM Jack Slater <theilliniguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm referring to the specific settings found in Edit of that scheduled
> transaction.
>
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 5:00 PM Adrien Monteleone <
> adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:
>

> > On 2/5/21 4:15 PM, Jack Slater wrote:
> > > This is my original post (at bottom of this thread)
> > >
> > > Today is 2/4/21.
> > > Transaction scheduled for the 5th of every month.
> > > Looking at Scheduled Transactions, it reads Last Occurance 2/5/21.
> > > Transaction options are set to Create Automatically and Create 3 days
> > > in advance.
> > Are you referring to Preferences > Scheduled Transactions?
> >
> > Those are defaults.
> >
> > Double check the SX itself. You might have a different setting for the
> > one in question. (it might not have fired until today if it were not set
> > to create 3 days in advance)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Adrien

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.