[GNC] Scheduled Transaction Mystery?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Fri Feb 5 21:05:38 EST 2021

On 2/5/21 7:39 PM, David Carlson wrote>
> I want to start with "... will tell me on start up
> that it has created x number of scheduled txns. I can see the change in
> value in the register but not the actual txn."
>
> Where does GnuCash display that number?  I have never seen such a summary
> transaction count or noticed an updated running total for any account in
> any of the places that I might think to look for these changes.
> Admittedly, I am currently still using release 3.8 in Ubuntu 20.04  Do I
> simply not know where to look?

The Since Last Run Dialog perhaps? I'm not certain, I don't have any to
fire for a spell.

> The main thing that I do see consistently is the appearance of the asterisk
> in front of the filename in the top banner which is supposed to mean that
> GnuCash has done something that can be 'Saved".  When that asterisk appears
> after opening a file but before I have manually made any entries I assume
> that the Since Last Run wizard did something.

An artifact of the XML backend. Anyone using a db backend won't see that
because changes are committed right away, there is no separate save
procedure.

   I have never intentionally
> configured any scheduled transaction to be created without a notification,
> but now and then the asterisk will appear without any Since Last Run dialog
> window appearing or any created transaction appearing in a results window.
> I believe that in trying to track that down I have even tried closing the
> program without saving and seeing the warning that some change will be
> lost, and if I proceed, the next time I start the program, the asterisk
> will again spontaneously appear without any of the other artifacts.

I'm pretty sure Since Last Run only fires on start up. I found that out
after some time once I moved to MacOS and never shut GnuCash down. I
don't get the SXs to fire unless I manually run the dialog, or do a
restart of GnuCash.

Regards,
Adrien