[GNC] Scheduled Transaction Mystery?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 21:45:41 EST 2021

Adrien, thanks for your comments.  I am a prolific user of SX's, I average
several per day.  The transaction count would not appear in the SLR dialog
unless it only counted the ones that had already happened when the dialog
appeared.  Since most transactions appear only after being approved for
creation in that dialog, I would expect the number to appear in the
'created transactions' window, but I do not recall seeing it there, so I
see that as part of the mystery.

I do get surprised from time to time, tho.  I just recently noticed that if
one pauses the mouse pointer over a 'y' letter in the reconciled box the
reconciliation date flies up.  Nothing happens over other letters in that
box.  Surprise!

You  are right that I use the XML data format.  Since I count that 'dirty
file' symbol as important, I would miss it if there were no other way to
tell if or how many changes had occurred since I last created a backup or
at least made a discrete file save..

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 8:06 PM Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> On 2/5/21 7:39 PM, David Carlson wrote>
> > I want to start with "... will tell me on start up
> > that it has created x number of scheduled txns. I can see the change in
> > value in the register but not the actual txn."
> >
> > Where does GnuCash display that number?  I have never seen such a summary
> > transaction count or noticed an updated running total for any account in
> > any of the places that I might think to look for these changes.
> > Admittedly, I am currently still using release 3.8 in Ubuntu 20.04  Do I
> > simply not know where to look?
>
> The Since Last Run Dialog perhaps? I'm not certain, I don't have any to
> fire for a spell.
> >
> > The main thing that I do see consistently is the appearance of the
> asterisk
> > in front of the filename in the top banner which is supposed to mean that
> > GnuCash has done something that can be 'Saved".  When that asterisk
> appears
> > after opening a file but before I have manually made any entries I assume
> > that the Since Last Run wizard did something.
>
> An artifact of the XML backend. Anyone using a db backend won't see that
> because changes are committed right away, there is no separate save
> procedure.
>
>    I have never intentionally
> > configured any scheduled transaction to be created without a
> notification,
> > but now and then the asterisk will appear without any Since Last Run
> dialog
> > window appearing or any created transaction appearing in a results
> window.
> > I believe that in trying to track that down I have even tried closing the
> > program without saving and seeing the warning that some change will be
> > lost, and if I proceed, the next time I start the program, the asterisk
> > will again spontaneously appear without any of the other artifacts.
>
> I'm pretty sure Since Last Run only fires on start up. I found that out
> after some time once I moved to MacOS and never shut GnuCash down. I
> don't get the SXs to fire unless I manually run the dialog, or do a
> restart of GnuCash.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

David Carlson