[GNC] Filtering reports on contents of Memo field

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:40:14 EST 2021

> On 7 Feb 2021, at 18:22, Stephen M. Butler <Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 2/7/21 10:10 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> If you are treating members as 'customers' then you may have other options. Otherwise, you'd have to go through the equally tedious task of setting up sub-accounts for each member, or creating a saved report configuration for each member.
>>
>> The Transaction Report does offer filtering capabilities that you can use on a Memo field for that last option.
>>
>> Another alternative for a consolidated report might work:
>>
>> The Transaction Report also lets you sort by the Memo field, so if you choose only the Gift Aid account, and the Memo starts with/contains only the Member names, you might be able to get subtotals for each member. (if that is what you are looking for)
>>
>> In either case, no need to filter date range for the account view first, you'll do that in the report options.
>>
>> If you want individualized reports per member, then you can still use that last option, but you'll need to save each as a Report Configuration and just name it for each Member. Then run them one at a time as needed.
>
> What if the Memo field contains "Member:  member last, first name" so that the filter was on the leading "Member: " portion but you still sorted by the Memo field.  Wouldn't each break based on the remainder of that field trigger a total line?  In that way this would be just one report without having to know if new members were added or removed.
>
> --Steve

Thanks, Steve.

I’ve tried just putting “M: “ in front of a few of the names in the memo filed, sorting by memo field and then using Cmd-F to search for “M: “ contained in the memo field, and that looks promising.

The transaction report derived from this won’t produce sub-totals by member, but the Gift Aid claim has to be itemised by date so that’s not a huge problem.

I’ll polish it and report back.

Michael