[GNC] Filtering reports on contents of Memo field

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 03:38:32 EST 2021

> On 8 Feb 2021, at 15:40, Michael Hendry <hendry.michael at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7 Feb 2021, at 18:22, Stephen M. Butler <Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/7/21 10:10 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>>> If you are treating members as 'customers' then you may have other options. Otherwise, you'd have to go through the equally tedious task of setting up sub-accounts for each member, or creating a saved report configuration for each member.
>>>
>>> The Transaction Report does offer filtering capabilities that you can use on a Memo field for that last option.
>>>
>>> Another alternative for a consolidated report might work:
>>>
>>> The Transaction Report also lets you sort by the Memo field, so if you choose only the Gift Aid account, and the Memo starts with/contains only the Member names, you might be able to get subtotals for each member. (if that is what you are looking for)
>>>
>>> In either case, no need to filter date range for the account view first, you'll do that in the report options.

Date Range isn’t available when adjusting report options, as far as I can see.

>>> If you want individualized reports per member, then you can still use that last option, but you'll need to save each as a Report Configuration and just name it for each Member. Then run them one at a time as needed.
>>
>> What if the Memo field contains "Member:  member last, first name" so that the filter was on the leading "Member: " portion but you still sorted by the Memo field.  Wouldn't each break based on the remainder of that field trigger a total line?  In that way this would be just one report without having to know if new members were added or removed.
>>
>> --Steve
>
> Thanks, Steve.
>
> I’ve tried just putting “M: “ in front of a few of the names in the memo filed, sorting by memo field and then using Cmd-F to search for “M: “ contained in the memo field, and that looks promising.
>
> The transaction report derived from this won’t produce sub-totals by member, but the Gift Aid claim has to be itemised by date so that’s not a huge problem.
>
> I’ll polish it and report back.
>
> Michael

Confirming that this procedure allows me to produce a single report that covers my needs, with each member’s Gift-Aid-claimable donations listed in alphabetical order, and takes account of the fact that the Income:GA account is the parent of several accounts which specify the nominated destination for the donations, such as Income:GA:Foundation, Income:GA:PolioPlus.

Michael