[GNC] Frustration

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:11:54 EST 2021

> On 8 Feb 2021, at 04:56, Andrew Ralph via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hi team
> I am trying to achieve what I think should be a simple process, to complete yearly accounts for tax purposes for 4 seperate rental properties
> All I want to do is be able to save the previous years accounts and reproduce a blank account hierarchy for the next financial year.
>
> With going trough the intro doc and on line forums haven’t come up with a workable solution.
>
> I have tried all the export options to reproduce a new blank or otherwise account hierarchy but am unable
>
> Not sure if the close book option would be appropriate
>
> I also can only see the last 4 accounts from the file drop down can I access a more detailed record of previous accounts and historical interactions
>

> Any suggestions would be appreciated
>
> Andrew

To keep it simple, let’s say you only have one rental property, and receive rent for it at intervals throughout the year, recording this income in Income:Rent.

Open the Income:Rent account, and right-click on any of the transactions in that account.

Choose the “Filter By…” option.

Select an appropriate date range.

Job done!

If you set a future date range, no transactions will be visible - as if you’d set up a completely new set of books. If you choose the start and end dates of a previous financial year, you’ll see the transactions for that year.

There is no need to Close Books in GnuCash when moving into a new financial year, and there is no need to set up a new GnuCash file for each financial year, the way you would have done when keeping pen-and-ink records.

If you feel you need to start a new year but carry forward the chart of accounts without the old year’s transactions, I think you can do this with File => New File - I’m not sure of the details, and have never tried this.

Michael