[GNC] Scheduled Transactions

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 23:25:05 EST 2021

I think it may be possible to set the start date for an existing scheduled
transaction to an arbitrary date in the past to effectively reset the clock
on that scheduled transaction.  However, I do not have a test file handy or
the time to pursue that theory myself.

Alternatively, one could duplicate a previously created transaction, then
memorize that transaction.  If the original scheduled transaction contained
formulas, the newly created scheduled transaction would have to be edited
to insert those formulas.  While formulas can be inserted into existing
transactions, they get evaluated instantly when the edit is committed, so
they must be saved as scheduled transactions to remain as formulas.

One would have to remember to give the new scheduled transaction a
distinctive name to be easily found in the list of scheduled transactions,
since it will likely be named similarly to other existing transactions.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2021 at 8:46 PM lj <lj618 at pobox.com> wrote:

> bdp3 wrote:
> > But I still don't understand HOW to rerun the SX using a date in the
> past... My SX has many lines and deleting/re-writing it would be a hassle.
> >      > Questions:
> >      > How can the Scheduled be re-run for prior periods?
>
> The only way to do that is by editing your Gnucash data file with a text
> editor. Not recommended unless you are confident, keep backups, etc.
> Basically
> you close Gnucash, uncompress (gunzip) the data file, and open it in your
> text
> editor. Look for your scheduled transaction by name (<sx:name>...), and
> change
> the date in the sx:last tag. Save the file, recompress it with gzip, and
> reopen it in Gnucash.
>
> I've always thought it would be a neat feature to add: Have gnucash reset
> the
> last triggered date for a scheduled transaction if you change the start
> date
> (or something like that). No UI changes needed. It would provide a way to
> fix
> problems like this without affecting much else.

David Carlson