[GNC] inventory

Jeff beastmaster126 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 18 11:50:56 EST 2021

On 2/16/2021 6:34 AM, David Long wrote:
> Hi,
> Since GNU Cash does not include inventory recording, can anybody recommend an inventory recording system. I do not need all the inventory management capabilities, just record keeping, showing purchases, issues and balances in unit and cost.
> Thanks
> David
> .

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for.

That being said, I track my Cattle inventory (100 head) in expense and
income accounts (you can add T accounts as needed).  GNC is an
incredibly versatile program due to its great many under appreciated
contributors/programmers.  It is much more than a true and perfect
double entry accounting program.

You can track anything as long as YOU understand the accounts and have
the time.  Right down to the number of packages of raman noodles you
purchase if you so desire (personally a number I find quite disturbing
at the end of the month).

All of the accounts you mentioned could be cash accounts if so desired.
Problem is when you have a large number of individual items to record
then your time inputting them is large.  A POS/Inventory system would be
the preferred system for inventory. Which I have 100,000 lines of code I
wrote for it I can get it out of the ancient computer I wrote it on,
capable of 2 billion individual items (find myself in need of it again
if I can retrieve the source code.  Passwords are a biotch if you forget
them).  Then you could export income/expense to GNC for book-work.

If you wish then I would be willing to discuss possible methods through
personal e-mail, not the list.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

https://www.avg.com