[GNC] OFX connections

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 19 12:05:23 EST 2021

Tom,

The security implications of enabling the webkit instance in GnuCash to connect to the network are dire, especially on Microsoft Windows where WebKit is stuck on a 10 year old release with hundreds of CVEs. I suppose someone might write a browser plugin to initiate the CSV downloads from bank websites once the user has authenticated but I suspect it would be difficult and wouldn't contribute much. It's generally only a couple of clicks on any particular website.

GnuCash already has a CSV import facility: Use File>Import>Import Transactions from CSV. There you can associate columns in the CSV with GnuCash fields and adjust CSV parameters. Once you have it set up you can save the configuration for reuse. The configs are saved in the book state file and aren't amenable to sharing.

Regards,
John Ralls