[GNC] Copying reports from one machine to another

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Feb 21 15:48:33 EST 2021

On 2021-02-19 20:48, Richard Gaede via gnucash-user wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a number of personalised reports (using only standard GNU Cash
> options) on my notebook. I also have an SP3 on which I have installed
> GNU Cash. I use a data file stored on a NAS.
>
> Excuse ignorance, but the report options appear to be machine
> specific, as opposed to App specific. It seems I must recraft the many
> reports on the new machine. Is there some way of copying the report
> configs from one machine to the other?
>
> I am using Version 4.2  Build 2020 09 26 on win 10 and Win 10 Pro.
>
> Any assistance much appreciated.
>
> Thanks & regards

Hello, Richard, and welcome to the GnuCash-users list.

Fortunately you are not the first person to be in this sitation. Yes,
GnuCash stores report configurations in a different location than where
it stores the book data file. There is an FAQ about copying the report
configurations to multiple computers which share a book data file:

*Q: I use the same account on multiple computers (through a repository),
how do I also transfer the reports I currently have open?*
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_use_the_same_account_on_multiple_computers_.28through_a_repository.29.2C_how_do_I_also_transfer_the_reports_I_currently_have_open.3F
<https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_I_use_the_same_account_on_multiple_computers_.28through_a_repository.29.2C_how_do_I_also_transfer_the_reports_I_currently_have_open.3F>>

In fact, you might find the entire FAQ section, *Multiple Computers,
Users, ...*, helpful.

On my computer, my report configurations are stored in the file,
/Users/myuserid/Library/Application\ Support/Gnucash/saved-reports-2.8
My computer runs macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra. Your Windows 10 computers
will have a different path to your USER_CONFIG_HOME directory.

Does this answer your question?

      —Jim DeLaHunt