[GNC] Transaction Reconcile behavior differences

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 08:34:53 EST 2021

Perhaps I’m wrong about this (still a neophyte) but I have the idea that
the accounting concept of reconciliation applies to external accounts.

In GC 4.3, if a transaction is imbalanced, it show up with an “Imbalance”
amount. Does this not suffice for internal account transfers?

External transactions as well have to be balanced within the accounting
system and will show up as an imbalance if they are not, but in addition,
have to be reconciled with the external account balances, if I understand
“reconciliation” correctly.

-P.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 7:52 AM Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> It is certainly possible that the behavior changed between 3.2 and 4.2
>
> -derek
> Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
> On February 23, 2021 7:38:59 AM John Nickell <jcnickell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I believe on Linux I was running 3.2 (last note that I have which
> > references a version), but I did a destructive update and can't confirm
> > that now. On Windows I'm running 4.2
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 6:17 AM Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> > What version were you using on Linux?
> > What version on windows?
> > Most likely this is a change of behavior due to different gnucash
> versions
> > and not change of OS.
> >
> > -derek
> > Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.
> >
> > On February 23, 2021 7:14:40 AM John Nickell <jcnickell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I recently switched from GnuCash on Linux Mint to GnuCash on Windows. I
> >> brought the same GnuCash data file over between computers.
> >>
> >> My checking account is setup in GnuCash as a parent account with
> multiple
> >> sub accounts to the checking account.
> >> When reconciling (including sub accounts) on Linux if I selected a
> >> transaction that had multiple splits or was simply a transfer among sub
> >> accounts, all of the transaction splits that were part of that same
> >> transaction would also be marked as reconciled. (i.e. their box would be
> >> checked and the reconcile balance would reflect a $0 change.)
> >>
> >> When reconciling on Windows I'm having to reconcile each split
> individually
> >> and if the transaction is between two sub accounts within the checking
> >> account I must reconcile both the debit and the credit action
> separately.
> >>
> >> Is this expected and desired on the Windows version of GnuCash, or is
> there
> >> a setting I'm missing so that a reconciling "part" of a transaction
> >> reconciles all of the transaction within the account?
> >>
> >> I'm not looking for a reconciliation in my checking account to reconcile
> >> the transaction split in the savings account, but for transaction splits
> >> that are within the same parent checking account being reconciled I'd
> like
> >> to see similar behavior as I saw on the Linux version. Or at least
> >> understand this is 'expected'.
> >>
> >> I've made pretty heavy use of these split transaction types and this
> >> unexpected difference in transferring OS's has slowed down my
> >> reconciliation process.
> >>
> >> If an example helps:
> >> I us a single transaction to transfer a $1000 paycheck into three sub
> >> accounts. $300 for Automobile, $500 for Savings, $200 for Food.  All are
> >> still within the same parent checking account. In Linux checking the
> box to
> >> reconcile the $200 food transaction would also check the Automobile,
> [...]
-P.
Sent from a cell phone. Pls forgive brvty and m1$tea at ks.