[GNC] Transaction Reconcile behavior differences

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Feb 23 09:06:31 EST 2021

Hi,

On Tue, February 23, 2021 8:34 am, Peter S. Shenkin wrote:
> Perhaps I’m wrong about this (still a neophyte) but I have the idea that
> the accounting concept of reconciliation applies to external accounts.

Reconciliation is all about ensuring that your books match *something*
else.  It *usually* implies a Bank, Loan, Credit Card, etc statement, but
that's not necessarily always the case.  You could, for example, reconcile
an account against a pile of receipts, or invoices, or anything else.
Personally I use reconciliation for my reimbursable business expenses (so
I know which transactions have been filed for reimbursement, and which
have been paid out).

> In GC 4.3, if a transaction is imbalanced, it show up with an “Imbalance”
> amount. Does this not suffice for internal account transfers?

Imbalance has nothing to do with reconciliation.  You get an Imbalance
amount whenever you have an imbalanced transaction.  Taking a step back,
ever transaction must balance, meaning the Debits and Credits sum to 0.
This means every transaction must touch at least two accounts (a debit
account and a credit account).  For example, a basic transaction could
credit Liabilities:CreditCard and debit Expenses:Groceries.  This is also
labeled "Transfer Account" in the GnuCash register, and if you open the
L:CC account you'll see "E:Groceries" in the transfer account column.

If you try to enter a transaction without specifying the transfer account,
it will default to "Imbalance".  This is "bad" -- it means you have not
properly categorized your transactions.  So if you ever find transactions
in your Imbalance account, you should fix that.

Similarly, if you try to enter a multi-split transaction and attempt to
commit it before you are done, GnuCash will auto-balance it into
Imbalance.  Again, this is something you should fix.

Needless to say, none of this applies to reconciliation.

> External transactions as well have to be balanced within the accounting
> system and will show up as an imbalance if they are not, but in addition,
> have to be reconciled with the external account balances, if I understand
> “reconciliation” correctly.

While your conclusion is correct, the reasoning is not quite.  The goal of
reconciliation is to ensure your books match some statement or external
list of transactions.  IF you have internal transfers between virtual
accounts then yes, you should still reconcile those, even though they are
not on the bank's statement.  Why?  Because you want your reconciled
balance to be correct.  Also, you would want to ensure that if you View ->
Filter By -> Status to look for non-reconciled transactions, the
intra-bank transfers don't show up and muddy the waters.

Hope this helps,

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745