[GNC] Moving log location

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 22:58:06 EST 2021

I shouldn't be answering this question because I don't have a clue about
how files are stored on Macs but that is exactly why I am answering...

The Help manual section 2.4 is the ideal place for a simple explanation,
but it is not there.  There is a comparable place in the website FAQ, but
it is not there either.

I think that the answer should be to put your GnuCash Data file in a
dedicated folder in userland somewhere near the folders that you keep other
financial PDFs and tax records that you access with your Office type
programs.

The name and location should be planned before the File > Save or File >
Save As command is executed for the first time.  If the user changes his or
her mind (s)he can either use the OS file manager to create a new location
and move the existing file(s) or just open the File then use File >Save As
as already described there.

There could be an entire section devoted to variations by OS as well as
indicating the relative merits of local vs network or cloud storage in both
of the above mentioned places.  It should precede the sections on the
optional file types.

That is my 2 cents.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 8:39 PM Michael Margolis <margolis at tidewater.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been using GnuCash on my early 2015 MacBook Pro. GnuCash has been
> placing logs on my desktop. Lots of them! When I have tried to move them, I
> have “lost” data in GnuCash. As a result, I am gun-shy about trying to move
> them without some advice.
>
> Can I create a folder and direct GnuCash to store and find the logs there?
> Or some other workaround that doesn’t require a lot of technical knowledge?
>
> Thank you!
> Michael

David Carlson