[GNC] Moving log location

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sun Feb 28 02:20:06 EST 2021

On 28/2/21 16:06, David Cousens wrote:
> You should be able to create a folder for your GnuCash files and copy the
> main file and all of its backup and log files from the desktop into the
> folder. When you next run GnuCash it will not be able to find the file in
> the desktop location. You should then be able to use the File-.Open dialog
> from the menu to locate the folder you have put the files in and open the
> main data file ( the one without any date-time stamp before the .gnucash in
> the file extension(s)). After that you should be able to operate normally.
> I'm not a MAC user so there may be some subtleties I might have missed but
> AFAIK its that straightforward.
I don't think there are any further subtleties. All the relevant
filenames should start with Name_of_Account.gnucash.
> The log and backup files are AFAIK created
> in the same folder as the parent file.
That's correct.
> I don't think there is a way to easily
> locate them elsewhere.
I don't know of an way to do it either.
>   I have a number of separate GnuCash data files and I
> put each in their own folder

That would make sense on a Mac, too. There's a lot of clutter of log and
backup files and one directory for each set of accounts files would make
sense.

Peter