[GNC] Best way to upgrade from an old version (2.6.14) to current

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 18:03:03 EST 2021

First, I just know enough about computers to be dangerous.  So I am ultra
conservative about going in over my head trying to stay near the (b)leading
edge of technology.  Like you I have been using GnuCash since very early in
the 2.something days sometime after it was ported to Windows.

That said, I recognized early on that the transition from GTK-2 to GTK-3
was going to be a challenge for the GnuCash developers, and I wanted to
stay out of that issue until they had paved most of the bumps in that
road.  Unfortunately, Release 2.6.19 runs very slowly for me and 3.8 is
still pretty sluggish.   I ran both in parallel for a few months.
Considering their limited resources, the developers are doing a phenomenal
job.

Now Linux technology has started to move away from PPA protocols toward
Flatpack or possibly other alternatives that I still feel need more
development before I am ready to jump from GnuCash 3.8 to 4.4 or beyond.
Reading the tales of woe here and on the developer mail list with flatpacks
and particularly with building the program from source in various flavors
of Linux has me sitting on the sidelines for now.

I wish GnuCash developers would look for ways to port GnuCash seriously
over to Android or whatever to run nicely on tablets or smartphones, as
they seem to be replacing PC's for many users.  I will be personally
continuing to use a PC for many years yet.

David Carlson