[GNC] Best way to upgrade from an old version (2.6.14) to current

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 8 18:40:27 EST 2021

On 1/8/21 6:03 PM, David Carlson wrote:
> Now Linux technology has started to move away from PPA protocols toward
> Flatpack or possibly other alternatives that I still feel need more
> development before I am ready to jump from GnuCash 3.8 to 4.4 or beyond.
> Reading the tales of woe here and on the developer mail list with flatpacks
> and particularly with building the program from source in various flavors
> of Linux has me sitting on the sidelines for now.

I do not know what PPA protocols even are, but when I first upgraded
from an old 2.something Gnucash to 4.2 I got it from Flatpack. It
installed easily, I converted the simple database I had and was lucky.
But it would not print anything. I suspect that this problem is that
Flatpack give all its files bizarre names and stores them in unexpected
places. Now the trouble with this for me is my Linux system uses an
SELinux kernel that is extremely security conscious, and Flatpack does
not follow the rules. Even the root user cannot easily violate the
rules. I did not follow this up, but Flatpack is so bizarre in where it
puts things, what it names them, that if it does not work exactly as you
want, you will probably never get it to work. (It was even worse with
the BOINC system that I run 24/7.)

A knowledgeable friend hand built an rpm for me from source, and gave me
a list of necessary other items. Once I got those other items, Gnucash
started working correctly and it prints as expected.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey