[GNC] Printer not showing up in print dialogue box

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Jan 14 15:59:22 EST 2021

Op woensdag 13 januari 2021 02:44:32 CET schreef Jean-David Beyer via gnucash-user:
>    On 1/12/21 1:56 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>
>      Are you using the Flatpak by chance?
>      There is a work around I believe to expose a printer to a Flatpak
>      app. (a limitation of Flatpak, not specific to GnuCash as far as I
>      am aware)
>      There were some issues with direct printing on MacOS (and I think
>      Windows) due to a problem with the Webkit version used by GnuCash,
>      and the temporary solution was to default to printing to file. But I
>      didn't think Linux suffered this issue. (or I could have my OSs
>      mixed up)
>      Also, I think I recently saw a change that put MacOS (if not all
>      systems) back on Webkit2 which should have resolved this issue.
>
>    I got GnuCash 4.something from Flatpak and it worked pretty well on my
>    RHEL8.2 Linux system except it would  not  print. In my experience,
>    Flatpack puts things in the wrong directories and gives them bizarre
>    very-complex names. This violated many of the security constraints of
>    the SELinux kernel that comes with RHEL releases since RHEL 6.

Printing is indeed the major known issue with flatpak gnucash. It's due to an incompatibility
between flatpak and webkitgtk. Our report system is based on WebkitGtk and hence printing
is not working.

It's a bit strong to state "flatpak puts things in the wrong directories". The directories aren't
wrong. It has consciously chosen to store its files in paths outside of the usual system
directories. That's the whole point of flatpak - to  be independent of the system paths. The
selinux violations are because RHEL has not kept up with flatpak's file system hierarchy rules
(or is not really interested in doing so). That is unfortunate.

>    My only  solution was  to remove all Flatkak stuff and get it
>    elsewhere. That is not always easy, but  it the end, it is less
>    trouble.

I can understand your choice.

Regards,

Geert