[GNC] Newby questions opening accounts

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 00:53:38 EST 2021

Hi

I've recently volunteered to take over as treasurer of a non-profit. The
previous treasurer was keeping his accounts with a different (tty-based)
system and I wanted to try Gnucash instead.

1. After having set up my accounts, I looked at the documentation and saw
that Opening Balances are supposed to be entered when accounts are first
created. Is there a workaround, or do I have to go through the whole
account setup process again? And what do you do if you make a mistake! (No
transactions have been made so far.)

2. I wanted to keep Equity under Liabilities (only because the previous
treasurer was doing this), but after I put it there (with the Opening
Balances subaccount beneath it), GnuCash created a top-level Opening
Balances account. When I delete it, it comes back. Is there a way I can use
the schema with Equity under Liabilities?

3. Is there a way to set the top-level display order of accounts other than
by using the "optional" account numbering scheme and ordering by the
numbers?

Thank you,
-P.