[GNC] Newby questions opening accounts

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 02:00:30 EST 2021

Hi Peter, and welcome to the GnuCash world.

Q1.
The recommended practice is to create an Equity::Opening Balances
account and use that as the contra-account for all your opening balance
entries.  It won't be a problem doing this after you have started
entering other transactions, just choose an appropriate date.
Further details here:
https://code.gnucash.org/docs/C/gnucash-guide/txns-puttoget1.html

Q2.
I'll leave for someone else to answer.

Q3.
If you are referring to the main "Accounts" tab, you can sort (within
the account hierarchy) by clicking on the column heading, by:
Account Code, Name, Description, or even Notes
P.S.  To expose / hide columns, click on the triangle on the far right
side of the column headings.

Some of the reports have sorting options too.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff
=====