[GNC] Switching to trading accounts in existing database

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Thu Jan 21 02:24:55 EST 2021

On 19 Jan 2021, at 20:08, Lukas Haase wrote:

> So I got recommended using trading accounts. But suddenly all my
> previous multi-currency transactions get a small grey box with a cross
> (hinting the transaction is inconsistent).
>
> How do I best deal with this?
> Is it possible to keep my old multi currency transactions as-is and
> use trading accounts only for securities/stocks?
>
> If not, how do I migrate while ensuring my ten years worth of data
> does not suddenly get inconsistent?

You should be able to use the "Check & Repair" commands in the Actions
menu to add the trading account splits to existing transactions.  I
would certainly save a copy of my data before doing this, and try it on
a few transactions first.  Your situation is complex enough that it is
not unlikely that this won't do exactly what you want, but it's worth a
try assuming you have good backup.

Mike