[GNC] Switching to trading accounts in existing database

Lukas Haase lukashaase at gmx.at
Thu Jan 21 19:58:22 EST 2021

Hi Mike,

On 2021-01-21 02:24, Mike Alexander wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2021, at 20:08, Lukas Haase wrote:
>
>> So I got recommended using trading accounts. But suddenly all my
>> previous multi-currency transactions get a small grey box with a cross
>> (hinting the transaction is inconsistent).
>>
>> How do I best deal with this?
>> Is it possible to keep my old multi currency transactions as-is and
>> use trading accounts only for securities/stocks?
>>
>> If not, how do I migrate while ensuring my ten years worth of data
>> does not suddenly get inconsistent?
>
> You should be able to use the "Check & Repair" commands in the Actions
> menu to add the trading account splits to existing transactions.  I
> would certainly save a copy of my data before doing this, and try it on
> a few transactions first.  Your situation is complex enough that it is
> not unlikely that this won't do exactly what you want, but it's worth a
> try assuming you have good backup.

Thank you, I think that worked indeed.

I still need to cross-check everything (at the first glance things look OK).

So then I'd have a general question on the multi currency feature:

1.) Are "Trading Accounts" just an *alternative* way to handle multi
currencies (and as such have nothing to do with "trading")?

2.) Trading Account seem to be way more powerful than storing the
exchange rate in each transaction

3.) Why exactly aren't they enabled by default if they are so superior?
Why let people my default use the way that makes things less consistent
and error-prone?

Thanks,
Lukas