[GNC] Updates on Windows

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 08:53:43 EST 2021

Hello,

I've used GnuCash for a very long time, under different operating
systems (currently GC4.4 on WIndows 10), and I have a minor question
about the upgrade process under Windows.

When I updated under MacOS, I was able to install multiple versions in
parallel simply by renaming the app bundle in Applications (for example,
from Gnucash.app to Gnucash-3.11.app). It was then possible to run
either version, if needed. Under Windows, however, the installation
process begins by removing the earlier version from the system.

Setting aside the wisdom or folly aspect of having or running multiple
versions of GnuCash, I am curious why it is that the Windows installer
always removes the previous version before installing the next. While
this is a minor point, it *does* have an effect in my daily usage. I pin
the Gnucash icon to the taskbar, to make it easy to find and run (Aside:
one of the things I like least about Windows 10 is its management of the
Apps menu). When the new version gets installed, this is not preserved,
and I have to re-pin the icon after every update. As I've already noted,
this is a minor point, but it's the kind of oddity that sticks in my brain.

Could someone explain this oddity to me?

TIA,

David