[GNC] multiple attachments

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Jan 26 04:34:25 EST 2021

Not sure I follow.

How different is linking a file you have access to (and providing the
accountant with a copy of the file if requested/desired) any different
than delivering a physical copy?

Is the person who enters data from documents into accounting software
not supposed to have access to said documents? That makes no sense.

Should the person who transmits accounting software data files not also
be allowed to provide supporting documentation?

Let's take the example of a local retailer family owned business run by
a pair of siblings. Do you really think one only allows the other to
have access to supplier invoices and only the other can enter data or
transmit it to the accountant?

Let's even take a multi-national conglomerate, (which GnuCash is not
designed for) how does data enter the books? Magic? (your job is to
enter data, but you aren't allowed access to the documents that contain
the data) Or, you can transmit the resulting magical data file to the
accounting firm, but someone else has to send them the supporting
invoices, receipts, etc. Really?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but please, what am I missing?

(now, I'm not sure *why* you would have more than one document for any
single given transaction, but that doesn't mean such a case doesn't
exist, and as answered, GnuCash supports it via linking locations.)

Regards,
Adrien