[GNC] Changing multiple transactions

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 17:30:49 EST 2021

On 1/31/21 12:26 PM, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> On 1/31/21 12:05 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>>
>> PS  If using a database back-end and you have experience as a
>> database admin or programmer then use the database tools to effect
>> the changes.  Again, make that backup first and loop around as needed
>> until GnC looks good.
>

> Yeah, since I'm using the sqlite back end I'd already thought about
> this but was hoping there's a better way - I'll see how this goes.
> Last year at the job I had at the time I had to scold the software
> designers every time I came across an admin function that required
> going to the database directly - because we all know how bad an idea
> it is.  :)

To err is human.  It requires a computer to really foul things up --
especially if you ask the DBA (me in a former life) to fix a few million
transactions with "this script").

>> PPS  Backups are mandatory.
>

> Yeah, they will be, once I get enough useful data in there that I
> don't keep starting over from scratch.  Since I sent out the original
> email, I've realized that it's any kind of bulk editing that will
> require this, and turns out, apparently I really like to change
> multiple things at once.  I'll give it a try and see if it's worth it.

Oh.  Starting over from scratch?  Just train the importer (you will have
to do that anyway over time).  Don't let them go to the imbalance
account in the first place.
If importing a CSV file, create an extra column that you call the
transfer account (or something like that) and put your own strings in
there for the different accounts.  During the import GnC will ask you
for the real account name for each of those strings.  It will ask only
once per string rather than each time it encounters that same string (as
would be done if matching on something else).

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net