[GNC] Big problem GC 4.6 wiping history list? Mac OS Big Sur

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 04:50:51 EDT 2021

> On 29 Jun 2021, at 07:52, Anita Graves <anitagraves at primehome.com> wrote:
>
> Please see the attached screenshot:
>
> I don’t know what to do but I refuse to delete the file I need to work with, or any of the other files in the history list.  This all happened to me when I installed GC 4.6.  Before I was using 4.1.  Now, when I try to import a log file it gives the same screen.   Then GC crashes!
>
> I am afraid to wipe all my history and all my work!
>
> Thanks for your help and suggestions.
>
> Anita

That’s disappointing, to say the least!

I’m shortly going to be forced to use Big Sur when I upgrade my elderly iMac, and have confirmed through a friend who has a more recent iMac version with Big Sur, that he can install and run 4.6 without difficulty - but of course this was a clean installation with no data files, history, etc.

Unfortunately, your screenshot didn’t survive the journey to my inbox, so I can’t see the warning you received.

IIUC, the history list is there for convenience only, and if you allow it to be deleted you can still open your accounts by using File=>Open and then choosing the book you want - you have to do this anyway, if you are managing more than the maximum number of books the history list can handle (4 by default, max 6).

I hope you have all your important files backed up - easy to do if you use Time Machine on your Mac, but you might also want to copy everything you need into a local directory.

I don’t think I’ve ever imported a log file, except perhaps as a what-does-this-do? experiment. Did something go wrong before you did this?

Best of luck!

Michael