[GNC] OFX Imports to new account reversed

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jul 6 12:36:32 EDT 2021

> On Jul 5, 2021, at 8:56 PM, David Carlson <david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been using GnuCash for years with OFX imports correctly populating
> bank and credit card accounts with deposits and withdrawals.
>
> Today, using release 3.8 I set up a new credit card account, went online,
> downloaded an OFX transaction file and proceeded to import it into
> GnuCash.
>
> Surprise, purchases were entered as payments.  I checked the raw OFX file
> and it appears to be correct.  The account type is Credit Card under a
> Liability top account.
>
> What else can cause this?

Were there any payments and were they recorded as purchases?

In your OFX file what is the block after the </STATUS> tag? A normal CC one should look like
<CCSTMTRS>
<CURDEF>USD</CURDEF>
<CCACCTFROM>
<ACCTID>XXXX</ACCTID>
</CCACCTFROM>

In a purchase transaction what is the sign on the amount?

It shouldn't matter, but what have you selected in Preferences>Accounts for Reverse Balance Accounts?

Regards,
John Ralls