[GNC] Simple Update Question

Peter West pbw at pbw.id.au
Wed Jul 28 05:27:56 EDT 2021

Hi Sharon,

Open source software is different from commercial software in that there is no contract, implied or otherwise, to support your use of one particular version of the software. Even with commercial software, there are limits to support, as you would have found if you you were running, say Microsoft XP, as your operating system. If commercial companies cannot maintain support for older versions beyond a few years, so much the less can open source.

3.8 will continue to do what 3.8 does. But if you attempt something new at some time in the future, and run into a problem, when you report it you are likely to be told that the problem was fixed in 4.x (or 5.x) and you should upgrade. The longer you leave it, the more likely you are to have upgrade problems. If your problem has not been seen before, and if it is found to exist in the latest version, it is not going to be fixed in 3.8, and you will have to live with it.

All in all, it’s a good idea to keep up to date with updates. If you are receiving notices of updates, just keep an eye on the list for the following 3 or 4 weeks. Problems with the update process and with normal usage will surface in that time frame. After a month or so without reported problems, you can be confident of the update.

Peter
—
Peter West
pbw at ehealth.id.au
“Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.”