[GNC] Simple Update Question

Alan A Holmes gnucash at alanaholmes.me.uk
Wed Jul 28 05:45:49 EDT 2021

Hi Sharon,

Like you I'm a home user with nothing complex. I've been using GnuCash for 2.5 years, having previously used Quicken. As Quicken stopped supporting their UK version in the late 1990's the version I was using was a Y2000 compliant version they provided to all known UK customers. Though the Y2000 continued to work once installed it became harder and harder to re-install and get working when I bought a new PC or had to rebuild my PC. One good reason to keep up to date with versions if possible.

Your PC's operating system will/should get regular security patches/updates. At some point it's possible that a security patch/update could stop an older version of an application working. Another good reason to keep an application up to date if possible.

I worked in IT for 40 years so I tend to be a bit pedantic with security patches/updates and new versions of applications and install them fairly quickly after they become available. However for a home user of GnuCash who's not an IT expert I would probably advise to update to the latest version 3-4 weeks after it becomes available, as this will allow any obvious to be recognised and reported. Version 4.6 was released at the end of June, so now would be an ideal time to update.
However you didn't mention what OS and version of OS you're using, I'm guessing Windows because of the mention of Quicken. It may be that Version 3.8 is the version made available with/for your OS, and to update may not be a simple process. Let us know,  and someone will be able to advise appropriately.

Going back several months Adrien Monteleone posted a comprehensive workflow for upgrading the version of GnuCash, with all the steps necessary to enable recovery in case there's a problem. I've quickly searched the archive of post and not found it yet, but I'm sure someone might be able to put their finger on it quickly.

Alan A Holmes