[GNC] Combine user accounts

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 09:43:04 EDT 2021

On 7/30/2021 11:22 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Sorry, there is not any easy way to do that.
> You can try to use gnc2qif to convert one file to QIF and then import
> it into the other.  That may or may not work. And may require work to
> do right.
>
> Another option is to start over with a combined file. Pick a cutover
> date (like Jan 1) and create a new file from that date with all data.
>
> Maybe others have other ideas.

As Derek said, no easy way to do this. Certainly not at the user level
<< Faced with this problem myself, I probably could, but I'm a retired
high level pro and in my working days did this sort of thing several
times. I would have to first learn the details of HOW gnucash stores its
data >>

But first an aside. You can easily combine gnucash accounts (in the same
set of books) but you are asking "can I combine entire gnucash books?"
not accounts within a set of books.

IF you are doing to try to do an export from one and import to the other
<< you can rename the single set of books later >> I do have some
suggestions.

a) First create a pair of test books, simple, only a few accounts in
each. Work with this test set, exporting from one and importing to the
other. You had probably first rename all the accounts in the one to be
merged in so no names will class AND create in the other all those
accounts with those names but empty (all zero). Then there will be
existing accounts for the import operation. I'm not sure "import
transactions" will create accounts on the fly. ONLY if you have this
working do you proceed.

b) If you have this working and plan to proceed COPY both of your files
to new names. Then, if your merge fails, you have a back off in place
(delete the messed up files and rename back)

c) Once you have succeeded in the merge, you can then begin combining
accounts. IN other words, to combine "medical costs his" with "medical
cost hers" you delete one of them specifying the other when asked "where
o you want the transactions to go" and then you rename the survivor
"medical costs ours"

Michael D Novack