[GNC] gnucash-cli says, "No quotes retrieved. Finance::Quote isn't installed properly" on macOS

list+gnucash at jdlh.com list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon Jun 14 03:55:51 EDT 2021

On 2021-06-12 23:49, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:

> …I submit that installing packages with MacPorts or Homebrew has
> aspects of installing application software, as well as aspects of
> altering the OS. Installing application software is a reasonable thing
> for people to do with their personal computers. I don't think its
> reasonable to say that GnuCash should ignore the existence of MacPorts
> and Homebrew.
>
> It would help for the gnucash-cli documentation to mention that
> GnuCash lets the environment pick which perl instance to run.
>
> It would help for the Finance::Quote troubleshooting documentation to
> mention this problem, and the solution.
>
> It would help for the GnuCash error message to also say, "Use `perl -e
> 'print join("\n", @INC), "\n";'` to see where perl is looking.".

I improved the documentation a bit in
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes to add the clarification
which I was lacking in this situation. I also copy-edited and refactored
the existing content a bit. The changes are in the sections:
Warnings/Multiple Perl installations on macOS,  Troubleshooting, and
Technical Details.

Thanks especially to John Ralls for providing the technical information
which helped me understand the situation well enough that I could
explain it.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt