[GNC] Help: How to set the default report stylesheet

Bob Brush bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 17:01:05 EDT 2021

A common workaround for default style sheet is to save a new one as the
name "Default", but it seems to behave differently than I would think
in this case:
On the top menubar select "Edit" >  "Style Sheets" bringing up a
"Select HTML Style Sheet" DialogClick the "New" button, and type
"Default" in the name field, select "CSS" from the template pick list,
and click "OK"Now you have two "Default" in the list, so delete the old
one.  When printing (Ctl+P or whatever) it will automatically pick up
the new style sheet.
The thing I noticed is this doesn't work, the new "Default" is based on
"Plain" not "CSS" (bug?)
Something that worked for me was to directly edit the "stylesheets-2.0"
file with GnuCash closed, then open GnuCash.  This is probably not the
right way, and it seems that now my changes to the "Select HTML Style
Sheet" Dialog don't stick when closing and reopening my GnuCash, until
I can figure out why it might be best to avoid. But just in case..
I'm using Linux Mint, so the storage location may be different (
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations) in a different
OS, but here the file in question is in my home directory
~/.local/share/gnucash/stylesheets-2.0"I closed GnuCash and then opened
it in a text editor and changed the words "CSS-based stylesheet
(experimental)" to "Default" and then changed the other instance of
"Default" to "Test".  After opening GnuCash it was my default
stylesheet.
Bob