[GNC] How do I get the 3D Interface look - Take 2?

list+gnucash at jdlh.com list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Mon Mar 15 20:58:37 EDT 2021

On 2021-03-15 17:22, viking wrote:
> …The interface changed now, but it doesn't give me the nice "3D" interface
> seen in the manuals (from v2.x which used GTK2).
> What was the reason for going to GTK3, and loosing the much nicer looking
> (IMHO) "3D" interface?

One of the developers will probably be able to point to the specific
reasons and the specific announcements by the GnuCash project. But as an
onlooker I can tell you that the people behind GTK2 moved on to GTK3,
and now GTK4. Their recommendation to everyone was to use the overlap
time of GTK2 and GTK3 simultaneous support to move apps from GTK2 to
GTK3. Then, with the release of GTK4, they stopped supporting GTK2. If
GnuCash were not to move forward along with the GTK project, they would
have no way to get bug fixes and improvements from the GTK project.
There is a lot more to GTK than just the 2D vs 3D look. IMHO it is a
wise decision for GnuCash to move forward as recommended by their tool
providers.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada