[GNC] How do I get the 3D Interface look - Take 2?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Mar 16 03:52:18 EDT 2021

Op dinsdag 16 maart 2021 01:58:37 CET schreef list+gnucash at jdlh.com:
> On 2021-03-15 17:22, viking wrote:
> > …The interface changed now, but it doesn't give me the nice "3D" interface
> > seen in the manuals (from v2.x which used GTK2).
> > What was the reason for going to GTK3, and loosing the much nicer looking
> > (IMHO) "3D" interface?
>
> One of the developers will probably be able to point to the specific
> reasons and the specific announcements by the GnuCash project. But as an
> onlooker I can tell you that the people behind GTK2 moved on to GTK3,
> and now GTK4. Their recommendation to everyone was to use the overlap
> time of GTK2 and GTK3 simultaneous support to move apps from GTK2 to
> GTK3. Then, with the release of GTK4, they stopped supporting GTK2. If
> GnuCash were not to move forward along with the GTK project, they would
> have no way to get bug fixes and improvements from the GTK project.
> There is a lot more to GTK than just the 2D vs 3D look. IMHO it is a
> wise decision for GnuCash to move forward as recommended by their tool
> providers.
>
> Best regards,
>      —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

That's more or less our motivation indeed. In our particular case the switch
was made even more urgent because we depend also on webkitgtk, which had
already dropped support for Gtk2 quite some time before us and decided to no
longer maintain the old Gtk2 version. Because of the potential security risks
involved with a webbrowser (library), most linux distributions quickly dropped
the old package from their repositories and gnucash risked getting dropped
with it.

Regards,

Geert