[GNC] Strange message on launching app

Alan A Holmes gnucash at alanaholmes.me.uk
Wed Mar 17 14:07:24 EDT 2021

Finbar,

I'm running GnuCash Version 4.4 on Windows 10 Pro.

I have a single GnuCash file, called Alan, which I store in a GnuCash folder
in my Documents folder, i.e. C:\Users\<ME>\Documents\GnuCash\Alan.gnucash.

Also in this folder are large numbers of Alan.gnucash.yyyymmddhhmmss.gnucash
and Alan.gnucash.yyyymmddhhmmss.log files, 30 days' worth controlled by the
setting in preferences. If GnuCash is open there is also an Alan.gnucash.LCK
file.

To minimise risk of loosing my data I have daily automatic backups of my
data, which includes my GnuCash files, to a NAS.

Under normal circumstances I have no problems, apart from occasions when
GnuCash complains that the LCK already exists when I start it which I can
usually tie up with GnuCash not having been closed correctly.

However, I do get some problems of my own making. When I new version of
GnuCash is released and I'm ready to install it. For example when I was
ready to install GnuCash Version 4.4 I used File -> Save As to save a backup
as Alan - Pre V4.4.gnucash, closed GnuCash, installed Version 4.4, restarted
GnuCash, and then ran Actions -> Check & Repair.
It's usually the next day when I release that I have a problem, as I'm using
the WRONG file. GnuCash remembers the last file it used, which in the above
situation is Alan- Pre V4.4.gnucash rather than Alan.gnucash.

Reading through your problems I suspect you've used File -> Save As at some
point and this has exacerbated your problems with files.

Alan A Holmes