[GNC] Investments: Bank, Asset or Equity?

Evelyn Yamanaka evelyn.yamanaka at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 21:55:46 EDT 2021

Bank is a type of asset account defined by GnuCash. Other types of
asset accounts defined by GnuCash include Stock, Mutual Fund, Cash,
and the generic Asset.

According to gnucash-guide.pdf:
> GnuCash treats account types Stock and Mutual Fund the same.
and
> GnuCash treats account types Cash, Bank and Asset the same.

Based on those statements, my guess is, aside from the distinction
between (stock, mutual fund) and the other types of asset accounts,
the account types are there mainly for cosmetic purposes. Perhaps the
labels and icons are helpful for the user to keep mental tabs on
accounts.

As for why Investments don't fall into Equity, David Cousens already
gave an excellent explanation earlier. I'll only add that it's
understandable that people would be tripped up by this particular
terminology because, in the personal investment world, the term
"equity" is often used to describe common stock which represents
partial ownership in a publicly traded company.