[GNC] CSV matching produces duplicates?

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon May 17 18:18:56 EDT 2021

It is true in that particular case of yours that the internal account and the
name it is mapped to are the same. The difficulty is that the importer has to be
able to cope with situations where "Assets:Cheque" in the external record may
not necessarily be mapped onto the Assets:Cheque internal GnuCash account. I
have been in the situation where I have had multiple checqueing accounts with
the same bank for different purposes with in some cases nothing much to
distinguish them. There is no guarantee that the name an external provider gives
to an account will be the same name you may use in your GnuCash accounts and
that it will necessarily match although it usually does in most cases. The
importer has to cope as far as possible with all possible use cases not just
your particular case.

That the account mapping procedure exists is testimony to the fact the use case
where an external account name which is the same as the internal GnuCash name
but is not the actual account the transaction should go to occurs sufficiently
often that the developers have taken the time and trouble to develop a procedure
to make this possible. It is a one off process if you complete the importing
process and then that external name is permanently mapped onto the appropriate
 internal account.

Guncash is not written for one individual's use case but to meet the range of
use cases that a wide range of users do encounter are likely and do encounter.

David
On Mon, 2021-05-17 at 05:31 -0500, flywire wrote:
> Sample account that shouldn't need manual matching:
>
> <
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/t374675/GnuCashCsvImportMatchingExample.png
> >

> --
Dr David R Cousens