[GNC] CSV matching produces duplicates?

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 21:00:59 EDT 2021

Original post about turning off Bayesian matching prompts:

flywire wrote
> It's not that hard to match most transactions and add accounts using a
> spreadsheet or other tool leaving the rest for manual confirmation. It
> would be reasonable to have a setting so they could be imported straight
> in
> like any other software.

This is very specific about turning off something that seems illogical in a
csv import process. There are plenty of csv import questions and there may
well be good workarounds I'm not aware of.

*Many people* manipulate csv files and GnuCash already allows (requires ??)
pre-processed csv files. Files that can't be imported directly from the bank
because:

1. Mmm date format is not supported
2. DESCRIPTION IS UPPERCASE (from saving bits and COBOL) and Mixed Case Is
Preferred For Readability

also,

3. there are no accounts but a 20 line lookup table adds accounts to 80% of
transactions
4. GnuCash accounts can be entered into the lookup table to ensure a match
(and changed after import if required)

In a previous comment I noted, it is not my data so I don't know what
account to assign to many transactions. (To reduce processing I assign
unaccounted transactions to entertainment and change those that aren't.) I
imagine many people process transactions for others without knowing the full
details when they are imported.