[GNC] Possible Ubuntu problems

Eric Coates TwistedWood at talktalk.net
Wed May 19 06:07:26 EDT 2021

Hello

Not exactly a GnuCash topic (classic British understatement!) but ...

There have been a few problem reported recently with the headings
"Transparent background on selected Transfer choice" and "Cannot always
over-type, clear selected amounts". They  may, I suspect, be an effect
of the upgrade of Ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04 and even 21.04.

I am pretty sure that the transparency problem was not apparent in 18.04
and appeared (on my system) after I upgraded to 20.04 (and persisted
through upgrades to 20.10 and 21.04). Since I upgraded to 21.04 I have
become aware of a number of other "deficiencies" in Ubuntu (none of
which were apparent in 18.04 or 20.04), some I can live with, I've found
work-arounds for some and others are just downright annoying. I have no
idea how to test my suspicion. I can't find anything via Google about my
problems.

My only thought is that these problems may be an artefact of the
upgrading process and that a clean installation of 21.04 may be a
resolution. But, although relatively straight forward, that process
needs some careful planning (yes, I have backups!).

Does anyone share my suspicion?

Forgive me, please, for raising a non-GnuCash concern but I feel that
the members of this mailing list have a history of pushing boundaries
and perhaps they can help.

Take care

Eric