[GNC] question from newbie

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 7 10:03:43 EST 2021

On 11/7/21 05:42, Michael Hendry wrote:
> I’m assuming a “head check” is what we in the UK would call a post-dated cheque - a cheque which can’t be cashed until a stated date; for what it’s worth, I understand that banks in the UK will often make the payment if the cheque is presented early.

As far as I can tell, here in the USA, checks are seldom seen by human
eyes. The MICR scanner reads the account number and a
character-recognitian scanner tries to read the amount. Only if that
faiul does a human being try to read the amount. Consequently,
post-dating a check is usually ignored.

It also was a custom for a bank not to cash a check over 90 days old,
but that is not always happens either.

With a post office as bad as here in USA, more and more checks do not
make it to their destination. The worst recent case for me was a check
mailed inside the post office to a post office box in the same post
office that was returned months later from another post office, saying
there was no such post office box.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer
   /V\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey