[GNC] Gnucash 3.7 - flatpak cannot recognize second internal HDD & USB Flashdrive

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 09:37:46 EST 2021

Am 09.11.21 um 11:57 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> I believe --system refers to which installation of the flatpak you want to use and hence
> depends on how you installed the package. And it will only be required if you have both a
> system-wide and a user-only gnucash flatpak installed. Most users will have installed via
> their OS's integrated package manager, which would install the flatpak system-wide.

I think we have different 2 use cases:
1. "Normal" users where the distri does not offer a recent GnuCash. They
should install from FlatHub ideally with their usually software
management tool [--system, the default].

2. Translators and bug reporters, who want verify their recently merged
translation or a bugfix. They want to install a nightly from
code.gnucash.orgy. According
https://docs.flatpak.org/en/latest/using-flatpak.html#system-versus-user
I would suggest to use the --user option here.

> As for sudo, isn't that required to be able to make changes to permissions for a system
> installed flatpak ?

I have just tested: flatpak is smart enough to pop up an
authentification dialog while running 'flatpak update'. So it is a
matter of taste.
It also runs first the --system update and then asks to continue with
the --user update.

Is anybody around to make it clearer in our wiki page?