[GNC] Data load from CSV files - duplicates

Leo Vaccaneo leovplex at outlook.com
Mon Nov 22 04:18:36 EST 2021

Greetings from Cairns Qld Australia,

I have my new accounts hierarchy data saved in a new file in the SQLite format.

I have read the concepts guide & help docs.

I have searched with our favourite search engine around the issue of imports from CSV etc files, and matching, and how to sort out duplicates

I am somewhat aghast at the outcomes mentioned - deleting duplicates and/or doing reversals.

I am therefore going to be more verbose than the mail list items questioners I found, to set out my frustration.
---

I created a new file to do this test. I completely deleted all transactions from a previous file, the account balances all read zero, and saved this as my new test file.

In my accounts, I have an assets, savings acct.   I have a csv file of savings account transactions export from my bank.

In my accounts, I have a liabilities, credit card acct.   I have a csv file of credit card transactions export from my bank.

These are my first 2 imports.

I imported the credit card transactions first, from CSV.

In the matching stage, for payments into the credit card from the savings,
GnuCash did not offer any matches
I set the match to be the savings account.
Loaded, no errors, -

And it created transactions in the savings account (presumably the second split of the credit card account transactions)
---

I then imported the savings account transactions from CSV.

In the matching stage, for payments from the savings into the credit card,
GnuCash did not offer any matches
I set the match to be the credit card account.
Loaded, no errors, -

And it created transactions in the credit card account (presumably the second split of the savings account transactions)

NOW, - I have 2 versions of each of these transactions, - which are in fact the same transaction, - in each of the savings, and, the credit card accounts!! completely fouling up balances.
---

Have I done something wrong?

I don't want to be manually trying to delete some transaction splits, or trying to delete or reverse some transactions -
  .  it would be just another manual tedious process
  .  I would likely do it wrong and break the transaction(s) completely.
---

If I don't provide manual matching, the transactions all end up listed in the Imbalance acct.
---

If I were to import the credit card transactions - without providing manual matching -

 When I then import the savings account transactions -

How to I tell it that -
This transaction - x - being loaded into this savings account should be matched to that existing transaction - y - in that credit card account
    AND - remove that transaction - y - from the Imbalance acct

I find it quite frustrating that it appears that I have to match during both imports, and then do more manual jiggery pokery to sort out the duplicates!

There has to be a better way.
---

I have not tried it - BUT -
Could I import the credit card transactions, with no matching - second splits will be in Imbalance -
THEN, when I do savings import, - is it possible to do the matching to the credit card second split in the imbalance account - and end up without duplicates, and the transaction cleared from Imbalance??

Hoping for enlightenment

Leo Vaccaneo