[GNC] Budget Report Liability "Act" VS Liability Report "Delta"

Charles Crossan crossan007 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 08:57:58 EST 2021

I believe I found the answer to this.

The Budget report (and the Transaction Report) are showing the "expected"
values for changes to liability account balances - how much debt I actually
paid off this month.

The Net Worth Report (and Liabilities Over Time Report) also show "arguably
correct" values for changes to liability account balances - How much debt I
added this month; ignoring any payments I made on the first day of the
month.

The discrepancy arises when transactions occur on the reporting boundary
days.  For instance, If I apply a $2,000 payment to a credit card on the
first of the month, and then spend $500 on that card throughout the month,
the Budget Report (and the Transaction Report) will show that a decrease of
that credit card account by $2,000; however, the Net Worth (and Liabilities
Over Time) report will show a Liability increase of $500.

It would seem that the Time-series reports use the balance of the accounts
at the "end of the day" for the reporting period boundaries(i.e. including
transactions from the beginning boundary day); whereas the
transaction-tracking reports use actual ingress and egress values from
transactions against the account during the reporting periods.

Is there a way to adjust the behavior of Time-Series reports so that they
choose the balance from before the first transaction of the reporting
period (and after the last transaction of the end of the reporting period)?