[GNC] Making the leap to latest

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Wed Oct 6 03:52:18 EDT 2021

The main problem is that you can't have side-by-side installations on a
Windows system (as has been pointed out to me).  So upgrading the
software means uninstalling the old one, installing the new one and, if
anything goes wrong, reversing that entire process.  A side-by-side
install would let me run both to make sure no issues and then I can
uninstall the older one later once I tested the new one.

However, I think I have a workaround, I'll install a Linux guest VM (I
already have other VMs running on the same box) and do the updates
through the VM first reading in the data each time to save to the new
formats.  If all goes well I'll install the Windows version on the
machine and move the newly converted data files back to the machine from
the VM.