[GNC] My begining balance is wrong

Billie-Internet drbboyd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 09:32:19 EDT 2021

Good Morning,
I am running
Version: 4.4
Build ID: 4.4+(2020-12-28)
 on windows 10.

I am having reconcile issues.  Last night I got help from David H and was
so frustrated I just quit for the night.
I got up this morning and when I clicked to reconcile, my beginning balance
was back to the correct amount.
Yes, I suspect I am loosing my mind, it was back to the correct amount so I
went forward with the reconcile and finished it.

This is hard to explain.  Yesterday, if I left reconcile and clicked to
postpone, when I went back to reconcile, the marked transactions were no
longer marked.  This happened twice.  That was part of the frustration and
why I just quit last night.

So today, while reconciling, rather than leave, I jumped back and forth
from the check register that was open in the background to the reconcile to
enter the few transactions that were on my bank statement but had not been
put in the register.  I had put these transactions in yesterday but they
were gone today.
By jumping back and forth, I was able to complete the reconcile and save
the file.

After I clicked finish and then clicked the save button on the menu bar, I
did a file> save as and saved what I hope is a complete backup to my
downloads file.  I was trying to achieve a stop/start point at the
completion of the reconcile.  I did this with QB everymonth and I am not
sure why I quit doing it with gnucash when I started using it at the
beginning of this year.
Now, however, since I did the save as, it appears gnu is saving every time
to downloads instead of where I had it set to auto save to which is my
company files.
[image: image.png]
So here are my questions.
Does anyone have any idea why my system reverterted back to a month
previous?
Why would my reconcile not be saving the reconcile when I ask to postpone?
How do I get my files backing up to my "company files" file where I
normally save them?

Could having a version of quickbooks open at the same time as gnucash have
caused these issues?  I had quickbooks open to get a report from last year
for the accountant.

One last question, will I ever become competant with this program?  I used
QB for 25 years and knew how to work with it but the thought of paying $200
a year for a program you should be able to buy, just killed me so I went to
gnucash.  I have been using gnucash since Jan 2021 and I am amazed that  I
am still struggling with split transactions not balancing!!  I am just
lamenting.  I know there is no answer to this but time!

Thanks for any and all help.

Billie
706-383-9057