[GNC] My begining balance is wrong

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 18:19:57 EDT 2021

Billie,

Try the Transaction Report - set the options to select your "checking
account" on the Accounts tab and on the filter tab select "Unreconciled
only" for the Reconciliation status which should display your unreconciled
txns for the checking account.

First copy your current Gnucash file somewhere safe just in case...

Start the reconcile process again and ignore the starting balance for the
moment as you may have inadvertently unreconciled 1 or more txns. Enter the
end date and balance you are reconciling up to and see if it agrees with
your ending statement balance if it does all good as this is what really
counts :-) This will also display your unreconciled txns - see if that
makes sense, if not you can cancel the reconciliation without finishing.

I'm going to assume you're using Windows, running Gnucash 4.x and saving
your file as the default XML file here as you didn't say...

If you do have to go back to a prior backup then look in the folder where
you save your Gnucash data file for files with names that include a date
and time in the name and end with ".gnucash" e.g. <my gnucash
filename>.gnucash.20210909160501.gnucash where <my gnucash filename> is
YOUR gnucash filename - you can tell from the data and time embedded in the
file name when the backup is from.  Use file open to open it and file save
to save it as your Gnucash file name as you don't really want the date and
time in your file name going forward :-)

Cheers David H.

Also a bit re backup files from the Gnucash wiki...

XML (default)GnuCash makes local backups for you every time it saves your
file. You must save your file (by clicking the Save button or using
Autosave functionality in the preferences). It does this by renaming the
previous version of the file with a date-time-stamp and a new .gnucash
suffix. For example, if your data file is named MyAccounts.gnucash, one of
the backups might be named MyAccounts.gnucash.20140131150812.gnucash.