[GNC] elementary questions

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Oct 23 14:48:42 EDT 2021

On Sat, Oct 23, 2021 at 02:23:20PM -0400, m.x. keating wrote:

> As suggested, I do use LibreOffice when composing a message, because of the
> poor quality of the in-built text editor in Thunderbird. LO does not help
> with formatting, however, since all formatting but the most basic is lost
> when transferring into an email client like TB for transmission.

E-Mail as used in mailing lists like this one is a text medium, it's
only if you send non-text messages that any formatting like bold,
italic, underline or whatever is available.

Thus to get the best out of the mailing list you need to use what's
available to emphasise or highlight things.  E.g. the usual way to
emphasise something is to surround it with *stars* or _underlines_.

Using a word processor like Open Office to create your text will just
mislead you into thinking you have created formatted text when you
haven't.

--
Chris Green