[GNC] elementary questions

David H hellvee at gmail.com
Sat Oct 23 19:08:48 EDT 2021

Hi T. R. Jackson, answering what I can for you inline :-)

On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 at 04:25, m.x. keating <mxkeating at comcast.net> wrote:

> GnuCash User List ahoy:

<snip>

> LibreOffice’s user list has a procedure for handling .pdfs, screenshots,
> &c, by storing them in special places, outside the list, but I haven’t
> had occasion to do that for years. Does GnuCash have a similar ability,
> and, if so, where should one store the file? And in a similar vein, how
> does one sign up to this list, to see the regular flow of questions &
> answers, and to receive any replies to my questions that are not also
> sent to me independently?

No, find somewhere on the web where you can post images (imgur?) and
include a link in your email or just screenshot and  attach to your email
as a .jpg / .png - see attachment to this email...

Subscription details are usually included at the bottom of Gnucash emails
I.e.…

>     Now follows my original submission:
>
> <snip>
>
> Whenever any of those sticks is in a USB port, I physically disconnect
> the associated computer from the modem and the outside world. Whether or
> not this provides any security is a good question. It seems to me that
> if any malfactor could get access to my machine(s), s/he could install a
> keystroke logger which would render all such security attempts null & void.

To my mind this is a waste of time - if you have a virus it's already
living on your pc regardless of whether you disconnect or not while you
have a usb drive mounted :-)

> I would be interested in any opinions on that topic, but my main
> problems of the moment lie elsewhere.
>
> <snip>

> My other major GnuCash problem involves its data files. When originally
> set up, I had what I thought was good reason to split my accounts
> between 2 /*files*/. With the passage of time, that no longer makes any
> sense, and now proves inconvenient, so I would like to merge the two
> files into one. Doing so would save a lot of saving and switching.
>
> I am talking 2 /*files*/, not accounts, and have not yet found any way
> to merge them.
>
> I have gotten so far as to export the account list, and the associated
> data, as separate .csv files, but see no way to re-load them, whilst
> combining them into one file in the process.
>
> Have you tried exporting a csv of transactions (File >> Export >> Export
Transactions to CSV) from one file and importing (File >> Import >> Import
Transactions from CSV) to the other ?  On the Import Select "GnuCash Export
Format" under Load and Save Settings - default is "No Settings" but you
want to tell the import it's a Gnucash format export file so you don't have
to select each header column.  Also make sure you select the correct date
format otherwise everything shows up as an error. Depending on how many
txns you are loading you may have to do it in chunks – I get a “Too many
root sets” error with a file containing about 1400 txns - just been trying
it :-) This also exports and imports the splits for each txn.

> I have, at the moment, both 3.11 and 4.8 on hand. I understand that 3.11
> is the latest version that can run properly on WIN7, so I have to keep
> 3.11 around, at least for awhile, whilst two of my machines are still on
> 7.

I am currently running 4.8 on Win 7, Win 10, Linux and Mac OS with no
discernible problems – sharing the same data file between them all using
FreeFileSync.

> That raises the question: if I use 4.8 where applicable, will the
> data files written from it be readable on the 3.11 version? Limited
> experimentation suggests that the answer is “Yes”, but I’d like to be
> assured that there are no problems lying hidden if I count on this.

<snip>