[GNC] Redo account reconciliations

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Sep 2 12:45:19 EDT 2021

Hi,

The starting balance is computed from all the reconciled transactions "to
date".  It *can* be safe to ignore the starting balance if, for example, a
transaction became unreconciled.  For example, let's say you reconcile
from some starting balance X to a final balance of $1000.  Then you
accidentally unreconcile a $100 transactions.  If you try to re-reconcile
that same statement/date/ending-balance of $1000, it won't show X as the
starting balance, but something else (PROBABLY $900, but I'm not 100%
sure).  But that's okay -- just ensure the ending balance is correct and
all the transactions that SHOULD be reconciled ARE reconciled.

There is no way to get a transaction to reconciled status (y) manually --
the only way is through a reconcile process.  So if you have reconciled
transactions, that must've happened through a reconcile.

I would recommend you just go ahead with March, ignore the starting
balance, enter the correct March ending balance, and see if the
reconciliation works (ensure you re-reconcile anything from earlier that
might have become unreconciled).

Good Luck,

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745