[GNC] Posting Sell Of Stock Automatically Calculating Wrong Number

Dr. Timothy B. Jones tbj at timothybjones.net
Fri Sep 10 18:39:35 EDT 2021

Hello

I wasn't yelling...just trying to keyword to help.

Yes, my last upgrade was from 4.5 to 4.6 (the latest version, I believe).

Here is an example of a trade entered today:

I enter a stock sale with a loss:

SEP Brokerage Cash  $1874.99 (DB)
Trading:NYSE:EVC  $1887.50 (DB) This amount also represents the cost of the
security in the buy transaction.  (GNUCASH calculated share price)
Realized Capital Gain  $12.51 (DB)

Fidelity:Pension: EVC  $1874.99 (CR)  (GNUCASH calculates share price, I
enter shares and amount)
Trading:Currency:USD $1887.50 (CR)
Fidelity:Pension:EVC $12.51 (CR)

In this transaction, when I enter it (exactly as above) and save, the
software changes both $1887.50 amounts to also reflect $1874.99.  In other
words, the transaction has that amount 4 times.  I have entered it allowing
the software to create the accounts and I have entered it from scratch, but
both times it changes the $1887.50 amounts to also reflect $1874.99.   The
auto calculations of share price seems fine and correct.  I am not asking
about that....rather, something (I called it an automatic calculation but
perhaps not) is replacing the manually entered $1887.50 with $1874.99 and
thus my journal entry is not correct.

I have literally hundreds of stock transactions over the 7 years I have used
GNUCASH.  I cannot figure out why this one will not post as usual.

To also clarify, I am not positive that this started with the upgrade.  But,
it was my first stock loss entered since upgrading last weekend.

Thank you in advance for any help.  I am sorry you thought I was yelling.

tbj

Timothy B. Jones, Ed.D.
Author, International Speaker & Principal Consultant