[GNC] Mortgage & Loan Repayment Assistant woes

Chris Mitchell gnucash at chris.oldnest.ca
Thu Sep 16 16:22:48 EDT 2021

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 10:39:10 -0700
Jean Laroche <ripngo at gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact that the interest amount is twice as much seems to indicate
> to me that GC does not do the proper calculation given your
> every-two-week frequency.
> That would happen I think if GC thought you're paying your mortgage
> every month instead of every two-weeks.
>
> Could you try doing the same with a monthly schedule, instead of
> two-week schedule and see if what you get seems right?
> That would help debug the issue.
> Jean

My Gnucash version is 4.4 (more specifically 4.4+(2020-12-28) running
on Debian); thanks for reminding me to mention that, Stan!

Jean, I tried setting the payment frequency to monthly, leaving
everything else exactly as it was. All of the payment amounts remained
exactly the same; only the dates changed.

The formula showing for "Amount" is exactly the same as before.

Assuming that my hypothetical monthly total payment, interest portion,
and principal portion should all be 26/12 × my actual biweekly amounts:

* The total payment amount is roughly 1.75× what I would expect;
* The interest portion is about what I would expect;
* The principal amount is thus way too high;

Let me know if there's any more info I can provide.

Cheers!
 -Chris